It is understood that, at first, Angier rented only a portion of the new premises at 6 Francis Street (later named Seaford Street), to the north of Regent Square, near Gray's Inn Road.that had been purchased for his father with money provided by the Fleet Street stamp printers.Such details, already recorded, as flywheels of 25 feet in circumference, cylinders of 9 inches diameter and other component parts require very heavy lathes and other machinery to aid their finishing.All engineering establishments of that day did their own iron and brass casting, as well as the turning, shaping and fitting together of the parts.
Field was also a partner in the firm Maudslay, Sons & Field of Lambeth that constructed engines).
From the few references to be found of this aspect of Perkins' steam engines, it is evident that his manufactory was a place given up to experimental work and demonstrations only.
The Fleet Street premises were almost always used by Perkins in matters of business, as apparently the clerical work attendant on his inventions was done form this address and hardly ever from his manufactory"."During the three years that Angier March Perkins had been in business in Harpur Street, it is evident that he had done well and it was natural that he should wish to establish his own home. Sometime during the year 1831 he married Miss Julia Georgina Brown in St.
But no contemporary writer, not even Perkins, mentions at any time that this sort of work was undertaken, even at the Water Lane premises.
Everything seemed to point to the obvious conclusion that all the necessary work was farmed out or wholly made by some recognized engineering firm to Perkins' special order.
He improved on some of his father's ideas and soon left his father's employment and, in 1830, set up business as a heating engineer in Harpur Street, off Theobalds Road, London, close to Southampton Row and High Holborn.